Our Commitment to Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accessibility
For over 30 years, the Rick Hansen Foundation has been striving for an inclusive world without barriers for people with disabilities. Our core values encompass the importance of inclusion, diversity, equity and accessibility of all people. We recognize and are learning that systemic barriers impact many people both with disabilities and without disabilities. These impacts are complex and unique to each individual. In times like these, it is important to look inwards and see where we can do better. The Rick Hansen Foundation is committed to doing better. The following are actions that we have implemented and will continue to prioritize with our staff, partners, collaborators, and within the community:
- Broaden our internal sensitivity training and take an intersectional approach to ensure our staff are educated and aware of issues faced by various underrepresented groups in society. ;
- Evaluate and make adjustments to our hiring policies and volunteer recruitment strategies to ensure we are presenting ourselves as an equal opportunity employer for all people;
- Ensure diversity within our governance, staff, volunteers and Advisory Committees so that diverse voices are represented in our operations and decision making;
- Advocate and encourage inclusion and diversity within the National Disability Leadership groups and committees we participate in;
- Amplify the voices of persons with disabilities who experience systematic barriers from lived experiences such as identifying as, but not limited to Black, Indigenous or Persons of Colour, LGBTQI2S, and/or newcomers to Canada to ensure their voices have representation in our dialogue;
- Ensure our communications are representative of diverse voices and lived experiences
Discrimination and acts of hatred have no place in society and demand our immediate attention. The difficult conversations taking place in families, among friends and colleagues, at schools, and organizations globally are the start of a much-needed systemic overhaul so all people have equitable access, treatment, and respect.
The Rick Hansen Foundation was founded on the belief that anything is possible. As we look toward a future free of injustice, inequity and hatred, and focus on inclusion, diversity, and equity among all the world’s citizens, we know this too is possible. Real change needs to take place in the world. We are with you.