Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
For over 30 years, the Rick Hansen Foundation has been striving for an inclusive world without barriers for people with disabilities. Our core values encompass the importance of diversity, equity and inclusion of all people. We recognize and are learning that systemic racism impacts BIPOC with disabilities in complex ways. In times like these, it is important to look inwards and see where we can do better. The Rick Hansen Foundation is committed to doing better. The following are actions that we have implemented and will continue to initiate with our staff, stakeholders and within the community:
- Broaden our internal sensitivity training and take an intersectional approach to ensure our staff are educated and aware of discrimination and racism facing people with disabilities and people around the world and the actions we can collectively take;
- Evaluate and make adjustments to our hiring policies and volunteer recruitment strategies to ensure we are presenting ourselves as an equal opportunity employer for all people;
- Ensure diversity within our governance, staff, volunteers and Advisory Committees so that diverse voices are represented in our operations and decision making;
- Advocate and encourage inclusion and diversity within the National Disability Leadership groups and committees we participate in;
- Amplify the voices of persons with disabilities who are Black, Indigenous or Persons of Colour to ensure their voices have representation in our dialogue;
- Ensure our communications are representative of diverse ethnicities; and
- Update our School Program resources to incorporate lessons regarding equity and inclusion for all races.
Racism and acts of hatred have no place in society and demand our immediate attention. The difficult conversations that are taking place in families, schools, and organizations globally is the start of a much-needed systemic overhaul so all people have equitable access, treatment, and respect.
The Rick Hansen Foundation was founded on the belief that anything is possible. As we look toward a future free of prejudice and hatred, and focus on inclusion, diversity, and equity among all the world’s citizens, we know this too is possible. We were created equal. We will be treated equal.
Real change needs to take place in the world. We are with you.