1. What does the Rick Hansen Foundation (RHF) do?
The Rick Hansen Foundation (RHF) is a registered Canadian charity (registration # 10765 9427 RR 0001). We want to change the world by removing barriers and enabling the potential of people with disabilities. We do this through innovative solutions that improve accessibility and inclusion such as:
- Bringing together leaders from business, government and the disability community, along with the public, to grow a social movement to influence policy change and create a cultural shift toward real inclusion;
- Identifying barriers to accessibility in the places we live, work, learn and play, and developing and providing tools and resources to remove them;
- Inspiring children and youth to understand diversity and inclusion and to sow the seeds early about the power of inclusive communities; and
- Accelerating Spinal Cord Injury research which is on the cusp of major breakthroughs.
Learn more about our programs.
2. Where does funding for the Rick Hansen Foundation come from?
RHF generates revenue from government grants, as well as donations from a wide range of individuals and organizations that support our mission and vision. The Foundation also earns income on endowments and investments.
Our Annual Reports are available on our website to ensure we provide the highest level of accountability and transparency to our donors and other stakeholders.
3. Where do funds raised by RHF go, and how will my donation make an impact?
When you donate to RHF your funds go to programs and initiatives that support people with disabilities who continue to face barriers to accessibility and inclusion every single day. These include:
- Ongoing sector leadership demonstrated by RHF to mobilize the disability community, rally government and industry and build awareness across the country about the urgency of making Canada accessible for everyone, everywhere.
- RHF Accessibility Certification which changes design culture and makes your community more welcoming for diverse visitors, employees and customers. It also means more people with disabilities can become meaningfully employed.
- The RHF School Program and Ambassador presentations which empower youth to become accessibility and inclusion champions, influencing society to embrace the needs of everyone, everywhere.
- A world-class hub of researchers and clinicians who advance innovative solutions to transform the lives of people living with Spinal Cord Injury.
It’s time that everyone, everywhere has the opportunity to fully participate in society by breaking down barriers in their way. Learn more about our programs.
4. There are a lot of people with disabilities who are having a hard time because of Covid-19. How is my donation going to help them?
The Covid-19 pandemic has exasperated many of the physical, financial and health barriers that face people with disabilities every single day. Throughout the pandemic RHF has pivoted our focus to meet our new reality by:
- Adapting our School Program toolkits into easy to use lessons and activities that teachers, parents and youth from grades K-12 can use remotely to learn about disability, accessibility and inclusion. This includes new interactive lessons available through the GHM Academy learning platform.
- Facilitating remote RHF Ambassador presentations to bring the unique stories of persons with disabilities to Canadians.
- Advocating to government through the Disability Leadership Coalition for financial support for persons with disabilities who are more susceptible and have increased health and financial complications caused by the virus.
- Providing resources and support through our digital channels, and updates specifically related to COVID-19. Our COVID-19 Resources for People with Disabilities is one of the highest viewed blogs on our website.
In addition to the important initiatives above, it’s critical that we continue to educate and inspire business owners, employers, educators and all Canadians to take action and truly embrace inclusion.
5. Does RHF provide individual funding for people with disabilities?
A: Unfortunately, the Foundation does not currently have a grants program for individuals with disabilities.
6. How can I make a donation to RHF?
There are three ways you can donate:
Online - You can make a secured single online or monthly donation. You can make a secured gift in honour or in memory.
Phone - Please call our toll-free number 1-800-213-2131 ext. 1550 between 8am and 4pm PST.
Mail - Please download this donation form, print off and fill out, then mail to:
Rick Hansen Foundation - Donor Services
300 - 3820 Cessna Drive Richmond,
BC V7B 0A2
For planned gifts such as bequests, securities, RRSPs, RRIFs, insurance and charitable remainder trusts, please see our legacy giving page.
7. How can I get a duplicate tax receipt for my donation?
8. How can I help raise funds for RHF?
- Our online donation form can be found here; you can make a one-off donation, or make your gift monthly. If you prefer to make your gift by phone, you can call toll-free 1-800-213-2131 and press 3 (Mon-Fri, 8am-4pm PST); to donate by mail, download this Donation Form PDF and mail it to Rick Hansen Foundation – Donor Services, 300 – 3820 Cessna Drive, Richmond, BC Canada V7B-0A2
- Third-party fundraisers are planned and executed by volunteer individuals, businesses, or community groups who are passionate about supporting RHF. You can find out more here on how to organize your own fundraiser to help make a difference for people with disabilities.
- Legacy, or planned giving is a way of making a charitable gift to the Rick Hansen Foundation (RHF) in your will. It can be a legacy gift or charitable bequest in your will, or a percentage of your assets. It could also include naming RHF as an inheritor. There are a number of gifting options, including gifts of life insurance and charitable remainder trusts. Legacy giving allows you to leave a lasting legacy for the next generation. You can learn more about legacy giving here.
- If you have any questions about making a donation or hosting a fundraising event, please don’t hesitate to reach out by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 1-800-213-2131, ext. 3
9. Where can I find detailed financial information about RHF?
You can find detailed financial information in our most recent Annual Report.
10. How do I update my mailing preferences?
To update your contact information or to be removed from any of our email and/or mailing lists, please contact email@example.com with your request and include your name and email and/or mailing address.
11. How does RHF respect my privacy?
The Rick Hansen Foundation is aware of the trust you place in us and of our responsibility to protect your privacy. As part of this responsibility, we are transparent in how we collect and use your information.