The Rick Hansen Foundation Champions Circle recognizes the significant support and dedication of individuals who have played critical roles in the life-long work of our Founder, Rick Hansen.
These Champions are trusted advisors, valued friends and colleagues, many who have supported Rick since the very beginning of his Man in Motion World Tour in March 1985. The epic tour around the world concluded 26 months later on May 22, 1987, bringing Rick closer to his dream of raising awareness, removing barriers, and finding a cure for spinal cord injuries.
The relationships that Rick Hansen has created over a lifetime of passionate advocacy are with individuals who inspire us with their own commitment to making a difference for people with disabilities. As our work continues, our list of Champions will grow. Only together can we create a world where everyone can go everywhere.
Please join us in celebrating the tremendous support and abiding friendship of:
Edie Ehlers (Late):
- During and following the Man in Motion World Tour, Edie held a number of senior positions that included Executive Director, MIMWT Society, Executive Director, MIMWT Foundation.
- During and following the Man in Motion World Tour Jim held a number of senior positions that included Chair of the Board, MIMWT and Director of Partnerships, MIMWT Foundation.
- During and following the Man in Motion World Tour Nancy held a number of senior positions that included Logistics Coordinator, MIMWT; Director of Programs, Rick Hansen Institute; Rick Hansen Man In Motion Foundation; and Director, Spinal Cord Injury (SCI) Solutions Network.
- Rick Hansen Foundation Board member, 2014-2019
- Rick Hansen Foundation Board member, 2014-2020
- Rick Hansen Foundation Board member, 2007-2008
- Rick Hansen Foundation Board member, 2013-2019
- Rick Hansen Foundation Board member, 2009-2011
- Rick Hansen Foundation Board member, 2009-2019
- Rick Hansen Foundation Board member, 2008-2020
Lyall Knott, Q.C.
- A founding director of the Rick Hansen Foundation, Lyall has committed 30+ years to the governance of the Foundation and co-chair the Board along with numerous other committee memberships. Lyall’s devotion to the Founder and the organization will continue well beyond his Board tenure that concluded July, 2021.
- Perry has been a much valued Board director from his appointment in 2009 until his resignation in 2021. Perry held the senior officer position of Secretary and was also chair of the HR Committee. Perry’s insightful, experienced leadership led the way in ensuring a thoughtful approach to governance issues and support of the RHF staff team.
George Gaffney (late)
- George was a tireless supporter and champion for Rick and the Foundation dating back to the original Man in Motion World Tour. He helped to guide the RHF Board of Directors for over 30 years where he served as Co-chair, Treasurer, Secretary, Chair of the HR, Investment and Succession Committees. George’s is deep friendship and commitment to the Founder and Foundation form a lasting legacy.