Organizations in British Columbia that have been rated through the The Rick Hansen Foundation Accessibility CertificationTM (RHFAC) program can apply for funding of up to $20,000 to complete an accessibility improvement project (see sample projects).
An accessibility improvement project must:
- be made to a building or site that has received an RHFAC rating;
- result in tangible and permanent improvements for people with disabilities in the built environment;
- be used for improvements to existing buildings only (not for new construction);
- be completed within one year of funds approval; and
- receive matched funding (applies to for-profit applicants only).
Any non-profit or for-profit commercial, institutional, or multi-unit residential site in BC that has completed an RHFAC rating can apply for funding:
- Commercial spaces include retail shops, offices, industrial sites;
- Institutional spaces include schools, parks and playgrounds, recreation centres, trails and pathways; and
- Multi-unit residential spaces include condominium entrances and shared common areas.
RHF will fund 50% of a for-profit's accessibility improvement project (to a maximum of $20,000), and the for-profit business must match the RHF grant amount.
How it works
There are five steps to applying for funding through the BC Accessibility Grants Program.
1. Book and complete your RHFAC rating.
Fill out the Rating Request Form to start the process of booking your RHFAC rating. Thanks to the generous support of the Government of BC, we are conducting free ratings of approximately 1,100 sites within BC. Due to the overwhelming support of organizations across the province we are at capacity and currently not accepting new registrations for free ratings.
2. Download your Rating Scorecard.
After your location is rated, you’ll receive notification from the RHFAC Registry that your Rating Scorecard is ready. Download and submit your scorecard with your BC Accessibility Grants Program application.
3. Complete and submit the BC Accessibility Grants Program application.
Use our online application system to submit an application by:
- Completing the application form (PDF application form for reference)
- Uploading your Rating Scorecard,
- Uploading a budget using our Excel template, and
- Agreeing to the BC Accessibilty Grants Program Agreement for Performance of Charitable Activities.
4. Receive notice of successful application status and complete project.
If your application is successful, you must complete your accessibility improvement project within one year of funding approval.
5. Complete your final report and submit your receipts.
Once your improvement project is completed, complete and submit your final report and all invoices and receipts to RHF for reimbursement.
The BC Accessibility Grants Program will be available in multiple rounds. Please see below for the full list of dates.
|Rounds||Application deadline||Application notification||Project and final report completed by|
|Round 1||May 31, 2018||August 31, 2018||August 31, 2019|
|Round 2||November 30, 2018||February 28, 2019||August 31, 2019|
|Round 3||May 31, 2019||August 31, 2019||February 28, 2020|
We gratefully acknowledge the financial support for this Program from the Province of British Columbia through the Ministry of Social Development & Poverty Reduction.
Read our BC Accessibility Grants Program FAQ.