10 Facts about the School Program
- We believe in the power of youth to change the world and have had a school program ever since Rick went around the world in his wheelchair.
- The Rick Hansen Foundation School Program teaches students about the importance of inclusion, the potential of people with disabilities, and empowers students to make a positive difference in their schools and communities.
- Last year 2,500 schools across Canada took part in the Rick Hansen Foundation School Program, reaching over half a million students.
- Rick Hansen Foundation School Program educational resources are available to all schools in Canada for free and in both English and French.
- Students across Canada have raised over $135,000 through the Rick Hansen Foundation School Program to help young people with disabilities and to make schools and communities more inclusive.
- Funds raised by students through the Rick Hansen Foundation School Program support young people with disabilities, such as a young girl from the Yukon who received beach wheels for her wheelchair so that she could take part in a class trip to the beach for the first time.
- In 2014 the Rick Hansen Foundation School Program will train more than 30 people with disabilities to deliver presentations to schools across Canada and inspire thousands of students.
- Teachers report that students who take part in the Rick Hansen Foundation School Program show positive changes in attitudes towards people with disabilities, are more willing to help others, and are more likely to feel they can make a difference.
- The Rick Hansen Foundation School Program prompted students at one school, who had previously bullied a fellow classmate, to understand her problems and begin to help and support her instead.
- "Your school visits make a difference in children's lives. You have given them a story and life lesson about strength and determination that they will never forget." –Teacher comment after a recent Rick Hansen Foundation School Program Ambassador presentation.
Have a look at our infographic: