What is the RHF Youth Leadership Summit?
Applications are now closed.
The Rick Hansen Foundation is dedicated to developing a generation of youth that champion accessibility, diversity and inclusion. As part of the Access4All initiative, and to help encourage this generation, RHF will be hosting a three-day Youth Leadership Summit on May 20-22, 2017 in Ottawa.
The first Rick Hansen Foundation Youth Leadership Summit will bring together 50 young leaders – with and without disabilities – from across the country to participate in activities focusing on accessibility and inclusion for people with physical disabilities.
The Summit will be led by Rick Hansen and include a special line-up of activities including:
- Inspirational presentations from Rick and other government, community, and corporate leaders;
- Special events and exclusive tours of iconic Canadian venues in Ottawa; and
- Hands-on workshops on accessibility and inclusion.
The Summit will not only recognize young leaders who have demonstrated leadership and passion for improving accessibility and inclusion in their school or community, but also provide leadership training to further develop the next generation of champions for people with disabilities.
Who can apply to attend the Summit?
- are 12-19 years old at the time of the Summit;
- are residents of Canada; and
- have demonstrated qualities exemplified by Rick Hansen and his life’s work: determination, inspiration, courage, leadership, teamwork, and making a difference in the lives of others. (This may be through participation in an RHF Access4All Barrier Buster project.)
All youth (under the age of 18) attending the Summit must be accompanied by a parent or legal adult guardian.
Is there a cost to attend?
There is no cost to attend the Summit. Participants will be provided with travel to and from Ottawa, accessible accommodation, and meals for the youth delegate (and their accompanying parent/legal guardian) when they are attending program events.
How can youth apply to attend the Summit?
Applicants must answer the following three questions via video (maximum of 5 minutes) or text (maximum of 350 words per question) and submit their application online at https://rickhansen.fluidreview.com/ by February 12, 2017.
- How have you made a difference in your school or community?
- Why is accessibility and inclusion for people with disabilities important to you?
- How would you share what you’ve learned at the Rick Hansen Foundation Youth Leadership Summit with your school or community?
- Applications open:
- November 18, 2016
- Applications close:
- February 12, 2017
- Notification to successful applicants:
- March 6 -16, 2017
- Confirmation of attendance:
- March 17, 2017
- Youth Leadership Summit:
- May 20 - 22, 2017
Have more questions? Check out our FAQ or email firstname.lastname@example.org.